Follow rachaelmeier on Twitter Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Divine Appointment

After college I lived in California for two and a half years volunteering for a Catholic teen magazine. I was blessed to have the opportunity to travel a lot while I was there. I think I was on a plane more during those two and a half years than I had been my whole life up to that point.

My boss at the time, would often tell us to pray for divine appointments, especially while flying on a plane. You never know who God is going to put next to you. So, many times while traveling I would ask God for a divine appointment, and I would always come home with a great story about a great conversation I had with the person sitting next to me. People I will probably never meet again, but God knew we needed each other during that flight.

I haven't been on a plane in years now, and so I had forgotten about the concept of praying for a divine appointment....and even when I didn't pray for one, God delivered.

I had a meeting a few weeks ago and when I was driving home, I thought I would stop in at Panera for a quick lunch. My mother in law was watching the boys at home, and so I delighted in the thought of a quiet lunch reading my book....relaxing!

I got my food, found a quiet table by the fireplace and started reading...and noticed out of the corner of my eye an older gentleman find a seat at the table RIGHT next to me....instead of any of the other many empty tables in the place. No worries.....I kept reading. A few moments later a woman joined him, who I quickly learned was his daughter. They shared delightful conversation about family members and about his wife, who it sounds as if she had died somewhat recently. The gentleman noticed I was reading a book, instead of playing games on a computer like many others in the restaurant, acting like they were "working." We shared some nice conversation and a few laughs between the three of us, I told him about my photography business and he told me about his grandkids. He told me how his daughter told a new employer that she couldn't work on Thursdays, because that was the day she spent with her dad, and that made him feel special. I found that so precious!

As they were getting ready to leave, he turned to me and looked me in the eye and said, "You are going to do great with your business, honey! Keep up the good work!" I was so touched! Then as he got up to leave, he stopped in front of my table and asked me if I believed in Jesus, and I told him I did. He then reached underneath his sweatshirt and took off a necklace of a simple cross and some beads and said he wanted me to have this, and said, "You just remember that He loves you!" I thanked him, we shared another smile, and he was gone.

God knew I wasn't there to read my book that afternoon....He had a Divine Appointment set up for me, and I am glad I didn't miss it! The cross now hangs in my rear view mirror to remind me to look for those divine appointments and to know that God has His hand on my business.

No comments: